Thursday, June 23, 2011

{Review} Forgotten by Cat Patrick


Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Part psychological drama, part romance, and part mystery, this thought-provoking novel will inspire readers to consider the what-if's in their own lives and recognize the power they have to control their destinies.
Title: Forgotten
Author: Cat Patrick
Publication: 7th June 2011
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
288 pages
My review

Forgotten is really an unique, original and entertaining story. Halfway between a psychological thriller and a romance, it offers us a fast-paced plot with a lot of mysteries, twists and turnarounds.

I loved London because she's a great character. It was really easy for me to relate to her and I loved her voice. She has a lot to cope with, everyday at 04:33 AM precisely her memories fade. As she can't remember the past, even something as recent as the day before, she has to write everything important to her on little notes, otherwise she forgets. And, as if that were not enough, she starts experiencing a strange and scary dream. But is it only a nightmare or could it be a vision?

Luke is also really charming, handsome and cute. I liked him, he's so sweet with London. Their story may seem a bit fast-paced and rapid however you quickly realize afterwards that it rests on a foundation far more solid than you might think at first. Both of them really touched me and they are very cute together.

Cat Patrick's writing is smooth and I had no problems to dive in the story. I was compelled from the first line and I read it really fast, in only one afternoon. I utterly loved the idea and the concept. I found it fabulous and brilliant. The story is cleverly built and I was never lost between past, present and future.

As we approach the conclusion, action accelerates and discoveries are numerous. Some revelations are tragic, quite surprising and moving, I was really touched by London's past. The feelings are very well-described, especially near the end. Cat Patrick deals with problems every teenagers may face: love, friendship, school. She also gives us a message: your actions, even minor, can change the future.

There are some passages a little too easy and which would have deserved more explanations. However, it didn't matter because I was so in the story that I didn't care. The ending is a bit rapid and hasty. Forgotten should probably have been 10 pages longer to conclude the story satisfactorily. I don't know if there'll be a sequel but for me everything is a bit rushed and it's a pity because this book is overall very good.

To sum up, Forgotten is really an original story and I loved this book. I think the idea to forget yesterday and remember tomorrow is brilliant and above all unseen in young-adult books. It was a quick but refreshing read. It's a great debut for Cat Patrick and I'll be sure to check her next books.

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your mark :D I'm so sorry I really don't have time to answer to everyone right now but I read them all :D