Monday, July 25, 2011

{Review} Sweep, volume 2 by Cate Tiernan [Dark Magick, Awakening, Spellbound]




Morgan Rowlands is a blood witch, the last of a long line of ancient and powerful witches and the holder of an unfathomable power. With the help of her love, her soul mate, Cal, she has realized her true self - but at at price. For Morgan and Cal share a terrible, dark secret, one that binds them together even as they are rent apart. Yet there is something about Cal's hunger for magick that firghtens Morgan.... And now there is another one who can bring Morgan clarity, truth... love. Morgan must decide who is her true love, and who is out to destroy her forever....


Title: Sweep Volume 2 {Dark Magick, Awakening, Spellbound}
Author: Cate Tiernan
Publication: 11th November 2010
Publisher: Speak
564 pages


This book is the second book of a series of 5. This review may be spoilery for the first book.

My review

I enjoyed the first instalment of this saga, it was an entertaining read, sometimes a bit young, but nonetheless very pleasant. So, I was utterly curious to see if this second book would be as good as the first one. Finally, I'm really not disappointed at all. It's true that the beginning is perhaps a bit cumbersome and it was a little difficult for me to dive into the story. However, after a few pages, I was totally compelled by the plot, I couldn't stop reading and I had a very good time with this book.

The first part of this novel is quite slow, it allows us to remember all the details and the story. Moreover, it enables Cate Tiernan to prepare the rest of the plot. This second instalment starts rather slowly and, as I had read the first book a few months ago, I was in the beginning a bit lost. I initially had some difficulties to fully remember all the details and to dive into the story. Fortunately, it did not last very long and, after a few pages, I really got into the story and was totally compelled. The second and third thirds of the novel are much more addictive and captivating and I couldn't put down this book.

Morgan remains quite true to herself, whether for her good aspects, or her bad. She is still relatively hesitant, sometimes naive, and she also lacks of confidence in herself, despite her capabilities and competences. However, she stays strong and determined when it's really necessary. I quite love her character, even if she's sometimes a bit young and it was a pleasure for me to follow her. In this second instalment, the reader finds out more about the secondary characters and the Wicca and I had a few surprises.

Overall the plot is quite fast. There are quite a lot of twists and suspense. There is also a lot of tension and I have to admit that I was sometimes totally surprised. One event in particular is really unexpected and shocking. I didn't think, and couldn't imagine one second, that the author would make that choice.

Feelings and emotions are also well-described and well-written. Indeed, some passages are quite moving, especially near the end of the book. We learn more about Wicca and the magyck. The atmosphere of this novel is, like in the first book, really captivating. In fact, I really like this aspect of this series. I find it particularly mesmerizing. Last but not least, as in the previous one, I really enjoyed having the points of view of other Wiccans in the beginning of each chapter. They are really interesting because it enables the readers to better understand some things and it sheds new light on the story.

To sum up,  I, once again, really enjoyed this book. I especially love the atmosphere of this series, I find it very successful and effective. The ending seems to mark the end of a cycle and the story could almost stop there. I am now extremely curious to see what the rest of the series will bring for the characters. I'm looking forward to reading the third book and I really can't wait to have a few hours to read it.

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your mark :D I'm so sorry I really don't have time to answer to everyone right now but I read them all :D