Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Iron Daughter and Winter's Passage by Julie Kagawa {Iron Fey Serie}




Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Title: The Iron Daughter and Winter's Passage {Iron Fey, book 1.5 and book 2}
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publication: 01st August 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
359 pages

This book is the second novel of a series. 

My review

It is not absolutely necessary to read Winter's Passage in order to enjoy The Iron Daughter, since Julie Kagawa recalls the main elements useful for the reader in the beginning of the second instalment of her series. However, Winter's Passage nonetheless helps the reader to remember the main key points and it was for me a pleasure to dive, once again, into this captivating universe. I was really happy to read this short novella because it enables to prolong the pleasure. I totally loved the atmosphere, the universe and the characters of The Iron Fey series and I was not disappointed at all in Winter's Passage, as well as The Iron Daughter. I really enjoyed the short story because it gives us a new development really interesting and captivating.

In the second instalment, I immediately dived into the universe and the story. I had huge expectations after loving The Iron King, but it has met them and even surpassed them. In my opinion, The Iron Daughter is richer in action, twists, suspense, feelings and emotions. I really spent a wonderful time with it.

I was totally happy to follow Meghan, once again. This time the young girl is prisoner to Mab, the queen of winter, but far from being deterred our young heroine is more combative than ever. The other characters whether Ash or Puck remain true to themselves. This book may focus more on the love triangle than the first one, and if my heart is taken by the dark and mysterious Prince of Winter I really do not know how things could end in the next book.

The action is extremely captivating, I was totally hooked, spellbound and compelled, I could not stop, I had to continue reading. I could not wait to know how things would evolve and what Meghan would have to cope with. I was totally enthralled and I read it really quickly. The Iron Daughter ends on a huge cliffhanger and a final twist. I must admit that I am now looking forward to reading the third book and to finding out how things are going to evolve for our young heroine. I didn't expect that kind of twist so I was utterly surprised.

Julie Kagawa's writing remains true to itself. It is extremely pleasant, smooth and with at times a little humor. Feelings, and in particular when we approach the end of the book, are maybe even more present than in the first instalment. I was very touched and moved by one event in particular. Julie Kagawa shows the reader that everything is not always black or white.

To sum up, Winter's Passage is a short story that is very pleasant and is a nice transition between the first and the second instalment. And The Iron Daughter is as captivating and enthralling as the first one, for me it was even better. If you loved The Iron King then you should love that one too. As for me, I'm now looking forward to reading the third instalment, and I really can't wait. 

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

1 comment:

  1. I loved Winter's Passage as a nice way to bide my time until the next book came out. I was so eager for the next one and so happy she gave us something to tide us over. Same for Summer's Passage (I think that's the name) which I'm still reading.

    I also loved Iron Daughter, especially the action! It was truly action packed! I loved the ending, despite some actions. Faeries can be cold hearted!

    I have yet to read Iron Queen by see the deadline looming ahead as Iron Knight is fast approaching it's release date. So it's got to move to the top of the list! I'm so glad you enjoyed these two reads. Julie Kagawa is truly a gifted writer!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your mark :D I'm so sorry I really don't have time to answer to everyone right now but I read them all :D