Saturday, August 6, 2011

{Review} The Oracle Rebounds by Allison Van Diepen [Oracle of Dating book 2]




As the “oracle of dating,” Kayla is supposed to have all the answers about love and relationships. She’s supposed to have the perfect relationship. But now that Jared is “taking a step back,” Kayla feels like a total fraud.

So the expert on dating starts taking her own rebound advice—and some from her friends—and stops moping around. Yeah, there are other possibilities out there—including the beyond-cute French foreign exchange student she’s showing around town. But when controversy erupts about the Oracle’s advice, Kayla is sent reeling once again. Will anything work out for her this year? Yet when her friends start seriously needing the Oracle, Kayla begins to focus on what really matters: Viv, Sharese, Amy and Ryan, her trueblue buds. And suddenly, everything starts making sense again…

Title: The Oracle Rebounds {The Oracle of Dating, book 2}
Author: Allison Van Diepen
Publication: 01st November 2010
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
208 pages
This review is spoilery for the first book.

My review

I don't know if you remember, but I really loved the first instalment, it was a refreshing, cute and funny read. You can find my review here. I wasn't sure if I wanted to read this second book, not because The Oracle of Dating wasn't awesome, on the contrary, I totally loved it, but because Kayla without Jared.. no way! I was afraid that it would ruin everything, that the story would be sad. However, - you may not know it yet, but I'm really curious, and very often I can't resist, especially a good book. So I decided to give it a try and I must say that this second instalment is as awesome as the first one. I spent a wonderful time with it.

Kayla remains true to herself as she's trying to rebound. She is sometimes a bit young, but she tries to do her best and to cope with Jared's decision as well as she can. I really felt connected to her, she was me at her age. To be absolutely honest, I sometimes wanted her to open her eyes. Indeed, she doesn't see things that are totally obvious for the reader, but fortunately that doesn't last. In the beginning, I was a bit angry with Jared because, in The Oracle of Dating, I thought he was a sweet and wonderful boy, but he initially acts a bit like a jerk, even if I can also see his point. The secondary characters are still interesting and well depicted.

There are a few clichés about French people, particularly towards French teenagers and alcohol, but it didn't matter because I was so in the story that I didn't care.. In fact I think especially of this excerpt: Teens don't binge drink like they do here. Because drinking and smoking aren't a big deal over there, teens are less likely to go overboard. I do not know if it's just me but I do not think that teenagers are more reasonable with alcohol, at least not those I see. Obviously, Kayla has never been to my school lol, because yeah teens sometimes often binge drink (parties were nearly every Thursday evening with open bar and free alcohol). And for me smoking has always been a big deal, but hey I do not know actually, maybe it's just me. Normally it's forbidden for people less than 18 years old to buy alcohol and cigarettes. However, ID are perhaps less controlled here than in the US (and fake ID are also less common).

Like with the previous one, I closed The Oracle Rebounds smiling, happy and delighted. It gets fewer calories than a box of chocolate or a Ben & Jerry's ice cream, but it's as efficient. It will put you in a good mood and relax you. This book is a totally pleasant, cute and entertaining read, full of charm. Obviously, if you are looking for a serious book, it's not for you, but if you want a summer read you should definitively check out this one.

The plot is once again fast-paced and I read it in one sitting. I was hooked from the first line to the last and I read it really fast, because I totally wanted to know the rest of the story. The storytelling is compelling. Allison Van Diepen's writing is similar as in the first instalment, it's cute, light, entertaining and sometimes funny, especially in its dialogues. Once again Kayla's advice may be helpful to every teenage girl. Allison Van Diepen also focuses more on Kayla's blog and the controversy. As a blogger myself, I really enjoyed that part of the plot.

To sum up, this second instalment has really met my expectations and even more. It was a funny, delightful and entertaining read and I spent a totally wonderful time with it. The ending is quite open, but it also feels right and appropriate. I don't know if there will be a sequel, but if there is one, I will be very happy and I will buy it without a doubt. I'm now really looking forward to reading Allison Van Diepen's other books.

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your mark :D I'm so sorry I really don't have time to answer to everyone right now but I read them all :D